If you have previously disabled the Mac OS X Spotlight feature and you now find that you would like to turn it on again, following these steps to do so.
- Launch Terminal and type the following command:
sudo nano /etc/hostconfig
- Find the following entry in the hostconfig file:
- Save /etc/hostconfig by hitting Control-O and the return key. Next hit Control-X to exit the nano editor.
- Disable the Spotlight index by typing the following in the Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on /
- When you reboot, Spotlight will be enabled again.
If you would like to disable the Mac OS X Spotlight feature, follow my article on How To Completely Disable Mac OS X Spotlight.